Wednesday, March 6, 2019

March #IWSG: ARE YOU BORING YOUR READERS?





OPTIONAL IWSG Day Question: Whose perspective do you like to write from best, the hero (protagonist) or the villain (antagonist)? And why?
Co-Hosts:  Fundy Blue, Beverly Stowe McClure, Erika Beebe, and Lisa Buie-Collard!



Each of my novels have been written from the protagonist's point of view. However, I do enjoy reading alternating POVs as well. I don't think I've ever read a novel written from the villain's POV. And, if we're all honest, we know that each villain thinks he's the main character. He is a hero in his own mind.

I love a good villain who is justified by his actions. I loathe antagonists who are ruthless and mean for no good reason. Talk about STEREOTYPE. PREDICTABLE. BORING. Please don't bore your readers. We endure enough tedious, uninteresting, dull, and monotonous moments in our lives already. Working in a school library has taught me one thing: kids won't tolerate boring books. 

I was invited to my first live Twitter chat on Monday night! You can check out the #RevPit feed on Twitter. My middle-grade murder mystery, THE INK AND PAPER SOCIETY, won runner-up in the #RevPit contest last April run by a group of professional editors.This contest led to feedback on my manuscript (other than my wonderful critique partner) and eventually resulted in me getting an agent. 

I'm so over the snow, ice, and below freezing temps. The end is in sight. Fifty-five degrees on Saturday!

I'm on a roll with my new murder mystery. Anyone else having a sudden burst of writing inspiration? I must go to the library this morning--my day job. But I'll try to make my rounds later today! 











28 comments:

  1. You know, you make a great point about the villain thinking he/she is the MC, anyway. Very true! There seems to be a little conceit in our villains, but most are bruised - even more bruised - than our MCs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying writing my current villain. He will be someone no one suspects of murder:-)

      Delete
  2. Villains often think they are in the right and they can be even more interesting than the hero. A mix is good, but I don't think I'd want to read a book completely from the villain's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I LOVE a good villain!! But you're right too.

      Delete
  3. A good bad villain can add suspense to a story, wondering what he/she will do next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I ever bore my readers. Disgust, certainly. Insult, sometimes. I don't think anyone ever gets far enough into it to be bored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being boring drives me to write better all the time! I'm not sure if I've disgusted anyone lol

      Delete
  5. 55 degrees? Brrrr...

    I haven't written in a long while, so I'll cheer on your burst of mystery energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm at 70 pages and I'm soooo happy with my progress.

      Delete
  6. I love a good villain, too, and love writing about the things they do, but it's all done in the hero's/heroine's POV. I alternate perspective for the good guys. That leaves the mystery and shock-value for whatever the villain is going to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's cool about #RevPit.
    I don't write actual villains so I guess I won't bore anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never read a book from a villain's POV either and having tried writing from his POV. Glad your writing is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love a sudden burst of inspiration right now. I've been struggling on a new chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where it came from, but I have an idea. I'm reading some awesome murder mysteries right now!!

      Delete
  10. Hi Jennifer. Good reading your post.So glad to hear you got an agent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet!!! Yes, it's been a crazy wonderful ride this past year. Hoping to get a book sold in the future!!

      Delete
  11. You are quite right in observing that the villian thinks s/he is the main character, and always justified. That's why I love to write from that POV occasionally. It's a bit like reconsidering the Wizard of Oz after watching Wicked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see Wicked. It's always playing in Chicago!!

      Delete
  12. Woot for being on a roll! Maybe your burst of inspiration will rub off on me. I certainly need some. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I'm not sure where it's coming from. But I've been reading all the books like a crazy mad woman, so maybe from my binge speed reading?

      Delete
  13. It's great to hear that you're on a roll with your writing, Jennifer! I laughed at your comment on kids not tolerating boring books. I taught in an elementary school for twenty-five years, so I am very familiar with watching kids read books they like and abandoning those they don't. I love the honesty of second and third graders! May your roll carry you on to the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! I keep my eye on the ones that get checked out over and over. And the ones they never get through. It's an eye opener for sure!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on being runner-up in the #RevPit contest! That is so validating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not on a roll , no. Wish I was. A bit flat just now.

    ReplyDelete

April #IWSG: Country Roads, City Girl

           Come join Alex J. Cavanaugh and the Insecure Writer's Support Group. We discuss our fears, insecurities, ups and downs of the...