Wednesday, November 7, 2018

November #IWSG: The Perks of Being a School Librarian





OPTIONAL IWSG Day Question: How has your creativity in life evolved since you began writing?
Co-Hosts:  Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor, Ann V. Friend, JQ Rose, and Elizabeth Seckman!



Over the past few years, my creativity has evolved into an insatiable monster. Events, awkward situations, conversations, and personalities get thrown into a folder in the back of my brain, ready to use in any given scene. EVERYTHING that comes my way in life turns into potential story ideas. That goofy middle-aged man I just met would make a great side character. That annoyingly perky woman would make an awesome villain--hiding her real personality behind her perfect life. 

One of the perks of being a school librarian is the interaction with the kids. Eavesdropping on their conversations and watching them in the "wild" (aka school) provides great material since I write middle-grade.

Can you guess the best perk of being a librarian? Yep, I get to read all the books. The other day as I explored the library I discovered a stack of Mark Twain Award books on a top shelf. A whole stack of unread novels just waiting for me! I dove into the first one, a middle-grade mystery, FRAMED! by James Ponti and I was hooked. I read it in a day. Now I'm onto Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman. My kids at school are like, "Mrs. Hawes has her nose in a book again." And I'm like, "What? Oh, hey kids, didn't see you there."

I need an intervention.

Anyone else doing NaNo this month? Do you need an intervention? Are you reading all the books? I'm almost ten thousand words into my next murder mystery! 








38 comments:

  1. Observing kids in the wild - I'm sure that's how teachers feel as well. It's wild all right.
    You will never run out of reading material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I get them for class three times a day! I like the idea of never running out of books to read.

      Delete
  2. How great that the kids see you so into reading!

    One of my recent favorite middle-grade authors is Dusti Bowling. I've read both of her books and thoroughly enjoyed them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll know what books to recommend to the kids by reading those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing NaNo. It's my first time.

    I would be in heaven if I worked in a library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! I love the challenge of writing a first draft in a month-ish. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. The perks of being a librarian ... That's a catchy title!

    I don't need an intervention, but I could use a swift kick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful perk of being a school librarian. What fun! Where were all these fantastic books when I was in school??? I don't do NaNo but admire those who do. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I needed more mysteries than Nancy Drew and a few others!

      Delete
  7. Love it! One of the best parts of teaching is sharing my love of books with the kids and helping them find 'their' books. And to do that, you HAVE to read them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, you do. I must read them all. Muhahaha.

      Delete
  8. Since my daughter was in elementary school, I have wished I was a librarian. You are lucky to read so much and have an inside view of how kids think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I'm actually struggling with not writing as much as I normally do. But I will have to settle for reading more than I usually do.

      Delete
  9. You are so lucky! Kids provide brilliant ideas and can also help you out of a few problem with great advice :) Happy hop day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome that you get to read the books and observe all the kids in the wild. That must give you lots of inspiration for stories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Observing them in the wild and reading all the books you like are wins. Just don't let their flu germs run wild near you too haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think their cold germs ran wild last week. UGH.

      Delete
  12. Congrats on getting 10k on your murder mystery!!! I would love to be a librarian. You're very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! So much more to go, but it's a good start.

      Delete
  13. Hi, Jennifer,

    How fun to discover new books to read! I don't read as much as I'd like. Once I get back to Florida and have less distractions, I can get back into reading again.

    You definitely have a major PLUS working in a library and privy to kid's conversations, especially if you write MG. Lucky you!

    All the best with your new WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm observing/listening to adults too. Have fun in Florida!

      Delete
  14. Yep, I'm doing NaNo too. Having a great time, but reading has taken a hit. I used to work in a bookstore and I read SO MUCH over that time. Being surrounded by books makes it impossible not to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My TBR pile is a mile high on my desk. I've had to pick another spot bc it keeps falling over. Good luck on NaNo!!

      Delete
  15. Being a school librarian sounds like one of the best jobs ever. Not only are you surrounded by books but you get to nurture a love of reading in young people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I love giving them uninterrupted times to read.

      Delete
  16. The best way for kids to get into reading is to see role models around them reading. So, reading in front of them? Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Being able to explore a library and finding books hidden away that you didn't know about sounds like fun. I can just imagine you coming across an old book with magical properties. :) And being 10K into your murder mystery sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Being paid to read sounds like a sweet job! And you're inspiring the kids and can give them recommendations too. Good luck on NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that you're a voracious reader! I have the same problem. :) I'm too busy this month to do NaNo, but I'm cheering all the participants on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many books, so little time!! You do have the perfect job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would have loved to have had your job when I was writing YA! :)

    ReplyDelete

April #IWSG: Country Roads, City Girl

           Come join Alex J. Cavanaugh and the Insecure Writer's Support Group. We discuss our fears, insecurities, ups and downs of the...